As I prepare for a two month backpacking trip to SE Asia, I found it hard to thoroughly pack light while still having my necessities.
With my 55L hiking backpack that was filled to the brim and heavy as hell, I quickly needed to start all over.
Reevaluating it all, I realized the habit of packing an outfit for every occasion is embedded in our culture and not only is it nonsense, but would take a toll on me physically rather quickly with all that stuff.
As for other things I may need, the intention is to use what I have or worst case, buy it out there!
On the featured quick video, I’ll show you how to pack a hiking backpack like a GIRL, having all the necessities we need but still pack light for extended travel!
What is in my pack:
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 1 pair of long jogging/workout pants
- 1 knee length, cotton skirt
- 4 short sleeve or sleeveless tops
- 1 sarong: can be used a million ways including a head-wrap, towel, blanket, sheet, etc.
- 1 light jacket
- 1 pair of PJs: while I could have substituted a T-shirt & shorts, I really like comfy PJs
- 1 bathing suit
- 7 pair of undies
- 2 bras
- 4 pair of socks
- Pair of comfortable sandals
- Pair of hiking/terrain boots
- Enough pads & tampons for two months! The most important need for women!
- Feminine Clothes/wipes (many places around the world do not use toilet paper!)
- A black pouch containing:
- LOTS of toothpaste
- Dr. Brooner’s Castille soap
- Hair/body oil
- A plastic container used as a medicine box (container helps keep medicines cool and from spilling/leaking)
- Bug Repellent
- stomach medicines
- pain relievers
- heartburn meds
- ear plugs
Compartments in my pack will store:
** I did not pack any makeup EXCEPT my favorite lipsticks!